Monday, August 31, 2015

Homeschool Failure?



I ask myself this every single day, especially today. Two kids have already had breakdowns over simple, easy things. Things that they should of learned before now, especially since they are in 6th and 7th grade.  I’m talking about basic addition and subtraction and grammar, simple right? Well every single time I tried to explain the steps to them I encountered this statement “I don’t understand, you make no sense.” Hmmmmm…well there is not an easier way to explain it to them.

What am I doing wrong? Why did I have this bright idea to homeschool? Why do I put myself through this madness? Why don’t they understand? I ask myself these questions every single day. I know I’m not the only homeschool mom that has these thoughts or feels like a failure.

Then I think back to why didn’t they learn this at school? I’m not blaming any of their teachers, because they had the best teachers along the way until we homeschooled. I am blaming our society and the stupid common core crap! We now live in a society where it is okay to play “dumb” and have someone else do the work for you. We coddle kids, we make them feel they are entitled to anything and everything instead of working hard for it. My kids want me to tell them the answers, however I don’t agree with that, I tell them how to get to the answer themselves. That is when the arguing begins.

Don’t get me wrong, my kids are very bright and gifted. They each moved on to the next grade before any of their public school friends, but when they get in this mindset, it is impossible to change it on that day.

Every day is a new beginning and tomorrow will be better. Just needed to write a little something to encourage myself that I am doing the right thing, even if it’s not immediately clear right now! My girls are getting the best education they can get by having all different opportunities opened up in their learning by homeschooling.


If you are a homeschool mama and have gone through this, please comment. We are united together towards one common goal and MAMA YOU CAN DO THIS!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment